1801 Christening record for Theodore Turley
Theodore Turley was christened on 29 May 1801 at St. Martin’s Church (St. Martin in the Bull Ring) in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England. He was noted as the son of William and Elizabeth Turley.1
1800 Christening record for Frances Kimberley
Frances Kimberley was christened on 9 October 1800 at St. Martin’s Church (St. Martin in the Bull Ring) in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England. She was noted as the daughter of Thomas and Sarah Kimberley.2
1821 Marriage record for Theodore Turley and Frances Kimberley
Twenty-year-old Theodore Turley married twenty-one-year-old Frances Kimberley on 26 November 1821 at St. Peter’s Church in Harborne, Staffordshire, England (southwest Birmingham).3 Because Theodore was under age, the marriage record notes that they were married with consent of parents. Frances’ sister, Harriet Kimberley, was a witness to their marriage.4
1822 Christening record for Theodore Turley, Jr.
Theodore Turley, Jr., was christened on his parents’ first anniversary, 26 November 1822, at St. Philip’s Cathedral in Birmingham, Warwickshire, England. His parents were noted as Theodore and Frances Turley. The family’s residence was on Lench Street, and his father’s occupation was “Stamper & Piercer.” 5
1826 Christening record for Frances Amelia Turley
Frances Amelia Turley was christened on 24 August 1826 at St. George the Martyr church in south London. Her birthdate was given as 1 January 1825, and her parents were noted as Theodore and Frances “Thurley.” The family lived at nearby “Snowfields Borough,” and her father was a “Toole Maker.” 6 The Family Memorial for Fances Kimberley states that Frances Amelia Turley was registered at “St. Gorge’s Church Birminsey London.” Bermondsey is a district in Southwark, the same south London borough where St. George the Martyr church and Snowsfields is located.
- Birmingham, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812, Birmingham, St. Martin, 1795-1811, baptism of Theodore son of William & Elizabeth Turley, 29 May 1801, image at Ancestry.com; See also Ann Lewis’ blog post “Theodore Turley Christened on 29 May 1801, St. Martin’s, Birmingham.”
- Birmingham, England, Church of England Baptisms, Marriages and Burials, 1538-1812, Birmingham, St. Martin, 1795-1811, baptism of Frances daughter of Thomas & Sarah Kimberley, 9 Oct. 1800, image at Ancestry.com.
- Harborne was officially transferred from Staffordshire to Warwickshire in 1891.
- Interesting note on the man who married them: “About 1788 Robert Robertson became Curate of Harborne, and, I believe, served as Curate or Vicar down to 1824. This gentleman was Master of the Free Schools, Hales Owen, and was evidently educated in the old free school of the last century. He used to ride over from Hales Owen on a lame pony, on Sunday morning, for the service in our Church, without being particularly regardful of punctuality. It was his habit to call at a public house in Camomile Green for a warm glass of brandy and water.” Harborne and Its Surroundings (1885) by James Kenward, p. 28. Birmingham, England, Church of England Marriages and Banns, 1754-1937, Harborne, St. Peter, 1820-1822, p. 69, no. 206, marriage of Theodore Turley and Frances Kimberley, 26 Nov. 1821, image at Ancestry.com. See also Ann Lewis’ blog post “Theodore Turley Marries Frances Amelia Kimberley 26 November 1821, Harborne, Staffordshire, England.”
- Birmingham, England, Church of England Baptisms, 1813-1919, Birmingham, St. Philip, 1821-1826, baptism of Theodore son of Theodore & Frances Turley , 26 Nov. 1822, image at Ancestry.com.
- London, England, Church of England Births and Baptisms, 1813-1920, Southwark, St. George the Martyr, 1823-1838, p. 225, no. 1795, baptism of Frances Amelia daughter of Theodore & Frances Thurley, 24 Aug. 1826, image at Ancestry.com.