Born: 23 May 1832 in Churchville, Ontario, Canada1
Died: 17 February 1875 in Minersville, Beaver County, Utah2
Buried: Unknown, likely at the Minersville Cemetery in Minersville, Beaver County, Utah
FamilySearch ID: KWVM-XQY
FindaGrave Memorial ID: None
Frederick was the son of Theodore Turley and Frances Kimberley.
Frederick married Amelia Louisa Counsell in 1856 in San Bernardino, San Bernardino County, California.3 They had the following children:
- Amelia Sophia Turley (1857-1945) m. Luther M. Carter
- Jonathan Frederick Turley (1859-1920) m. Melissa Ellen Wood
- Janetta Rosette Turley (1862-1925) m. Adolph D. Johndrew
- Priscilla Rosilla Turley (1862-1937) m. Stephen Douglas Maher
- Margaret Elizabeth Turley (1866-1868)
Go to Life Sketch
Go to Timeline
Go to Important Places
Life sketch coming soon.
Frederick died suddenly at age 45 in Beaver; he was making hay and sweating on a hot day but sat down to eat his lunch, leaned against a damp haycock, caught cold, and died within three days of what was called “quick consumption” but was probably flu or pneumonia.1971 letter from Joseph soll turley to descendants of theodore turley
MRS. AMELIA [T]URLEY
Mrs. Amelia [T]urley, well known to San Bernardino pioneers, and for many years a member of the San Bernardino Pioneer society, passed away yesterday morning at the home of her daughter, Mrs. L. Carter, at 468 West Sixth street, in Riverside, where she had for some time made her home. The funeral service will be held there at the residence this (Tu[e]sday) morning at 10 o’clock, and it is probable a number of San Bernardino friends will go over to the service.
She was born in England, near Somerset, in May, 1835, and went to Australia with her parents when but a girl. In 1855 she came to San Bernardino and the following year was married to Mr. [T]urley. The following year they removed to Utah, returning to this valley 25 years ago. Since that time she has lived most of the time in Colton and Riverside.
Mrs. [T]urley leaves four children, Mrs. Carter in Riverside, John F. [T]urley of Minersville, Utah, Mrs. Rosalie Mah[e]r and Mrs. Nettie Johndrew of Colton. Twelve grandchildren and four great-grandchildren also survive her.“mrs. amelia curley,” The San bernardino daily Sun, Tuesday, 15 July 1813, p. 4, cols. 2-3, newspapers.com.
Biographical sketch from The Theodore Turley Family book (p. 80-82)
FREDERICK TURLEY, son of Theodore Turley and Frances Amelia Kimberley Turley, was born on May 23, 1832 in Yorks, Ontario, Canada. On June 1, 1856 he married AMELIA LOUISA COUNCIL in San Bernardino, California. AMELIA was born May 18, 1836 at Chapelhatlog, Sommerset, London, England, daughter of Joseph and Sophia Council.
FREDERICK died Febr. 24, 1875 and AMELIA married J. J. M. Rockefeller.
- Family Memorial for Frances Kimberley and children
- Ann Lewis’ website:
- Family Memorial
- Amasa M. Lyman journal entry for 2 Mar. 1875. “To day heard of the Death of Mr Frederick Turley of Minersville which transpired on the 17th of February. Disease consumption.” Scott H. Partridge, ed., Thirteenth Apostle: The Diaries of Amasa M. Lyman, 1832-1877 (Salt Lake City: Signature Books, 2016), p. 859.
- There is a discrepancy on the marriage date among various user-submitted data. I’m finding both 1 January 1856 and 1 June 1856. Need to find an actual historical record.