Congreve Clift Selwyn
Born: 24 April 1839 in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England1
Died: 2 May 1882 in Southend, Essex, England2
Buried: 6 May 1882 at St. John the Baptist at Southend-On-Sea, Essex, England3
FamilySearch ID: 9HBP-XD8
FindaGrave Memorial ID: None
Congreve was the son of Sarah Ellen Clift. He was publicly known as the son of Dr. Congreve Selwyn and Albinia Frances Selwyn.
Congreve married Alice Herbert on 12 February 1861 at All Saints Church in Hereford, Herefordshire, England.4 Congreve and Alice apparently did not have any children.
Go to Life Sketch
Go to Timeline
Go to Important Places
Life sketch coming soon.
Alice Herbert was born in 1841, the daughter of Richard Chambers Herbert and Alice Green.5 She was christened on 27 May 1841 in Claines, Worcestershire, England.6 She died 2 June 1927 at Paignton, Devonshire, England.7
On the 12th inst., at All Saints’ Church, Hereford, by the Rev. R. Underwood, Congreve Selwyn, Esq., only child of the late Congreve Selwyn, Esq., M.D., of Cheltenham, to Alice, only surviving child of the late Richard Chambers Herbert, Esq., of Powick, near Worcester.“Marriages,” Aris’s birmingham gazette, 23 Feb. 1861, p. 5, col. 4, britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk
THE LATE VICAR.–The Rev. Congreve Selwyn, who was over six years vicar of this parish, died on May 2nd, after a long and distressing illness, at Southend, in Essex. After leaving Welshampton, Mr. Selwyn went to Caynham, near Ludlow, but exchanged from there with the vicar of St. Mary’s, Haggerston, in the north of London. His illness becoming worse, he left Haggerston and went to Southend, where he died at the age of 43.“Welshampton,” The Wellington Journal and Shrewsbury News, 13 May 1882, p. 7, col. 4, BritishNewspaperarchive.co.Uk
- Family Memorial for Sarah Ellen Clift and children.
- Ann Lewis’ website:
- I’ve been unable to find any birth registration for Congreve Selwyn. Family Memorial-Sarah Ellen Clift.
- Congreve Selwyn died at 17 Cambridge-street in Southend, Essex, England. England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1995, 1883, p. 434-435, The Reverend Congreve Selwyn, images at Ancestry.com.
- Essex Burial Index 1530-1994, Southend-On-Sea, St. John the Baptist, burial of Congrave Selwyn, 6 May 1882, transcript at FindMyPast.com.
- “Marriages,” Aris’s Birmingham Gazette, Saturday, 23 Feb. 1861, p. 5, col. 4, BritishNewspapersArchive.co.uk.
- Richard Chambers Herbert and Alice Green were married 18 July 1840. England Marriages 1538-1973, Worcestershire, Claines, marriage of Richard Chambers Herbert and Alice Green, 18 July 1840, transcript at FindMyPast.com.
- England Births & Baptisms 1538-1975, Worcestershire, Claines, baptism of Alice daughter of Richard Chambers and Alice Herbert, 27 May 1841, transcript at FindMyPast.com.
- England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations), 1858-1995, 1927, p. 251, Alice Selwyn, image at Ancestry.com.